We looked high and low in flea markets and yard sales finding nothing to mount the sink in. Then, my husband thought about an old storage building and wondered if it held any forgotten treasure. Sure enough, when they opened the old family shed up here is what they found.
I knew if anyone could breathe life back into this piece it would be my dad. He is a very talented man.. but he would never admit it! He took this buffet apart, sanded, buffed, glued and put it back together. 13 coats of poly later it gleamed as never before. He was a bit upset about the worm holes in the top that he could not sand out. I told him "Do you know how much people pay for that!" ;-)
Now the moment you have been waiting for.... can't you just hear the drum roll! :-)
|Character the worms left behind! Cleaned and sealed forever.|
The vessel sink I bought off Ebay and the faucet is a kitchen faucet from Lowes. I had to find a faucet high enough to clear the raised vessel. Our daughter wanted a beach feel to her bath and I think it turned out very nice.
A few things to keep in mind if you decide to go this route.
1. Make sure the piece is a good height to use for a sink base. Dad had to cut a bit off the legs to make this the perfect height. If it is not tall enough look at adding feet to give it extra height.
2. Seal the item very well. When you have wood like this in the bathroom you want to protect the surface as much as possible. Dad used 13 coats - what can I say but he is a perfectionist and not superstitious! ;-)
3. Take into account how high you want the vessel raised when you cut the hole to mount it.
4. Pick a faucet that clears the height of your new sink.
5. If you have woodworking skills, make the drawer in front of the sink shorter. Doing that will give you an area for vessel and you still have storage.
One more thing... thank your help... Thanks dad for all the hard work and to my husbands parents for the donation of an old buffet. Now it has even MORE history from both sides of the family.
Until next time,
DesignHouse Inc - House plans